“You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Third session in my new photographic series...the more time I spend with these photographs, the more time I feel like I am spending with these people...their lives, their losses, their hopes. Parts of them that aren't usually at the surface. A vulnerability and an inward look into themselves I am moved to have been allowed to see. The three individuals I have photographed so far, I know fairly well. I haven't figured out how I feel about that yet and how my relationship with my subjects play into the character of this series. Soon I'd like to photograph a few individuals who I don't know as well and see how that experience plays into the balance of things. 

Something happens within me as my artwork grows. It's that feeling that you can't quite describe, it's that thing you quite can't put your finger on. I suppose that's the reason you don't fully comprehend the value of what you've created until after the fact, because as much as you'd like to think you're creating the work, it has also been creating you.







No comments:

Post a Comment