“You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

New Ideas to play with

I have always stayed within the comfort of printing my photos on paper and leaving it that way, but I think I'd like to play with ways of transferring the same image to another medium that could contribute more to my pieces. Paper is clean and clear and precise, but photography doesn't always need to be that way...not if I don't want it to, not if what I am expressing isn't clear and clean itself...

This week I have been exploring the possibilities of gel transfer. Essentially, I print my images on plain white paper and then transfer the image onto acrylic gel. I'm hoping to get interesting new textures that can play into my work. The gel transfer image is now also flexible and bendable...cool!

I am investigating what the element of size does to my pieces and am experimenting with collaging and stitching pieces together. The texture of the gel transfer reminds me of skin which excites me but I haven't decided how that will affect the content of my work. Photographs that feel like skin? Creepy? disturbing? What??

Will post photos soon...

1 comment:

  1. So the gel is flat or is it like a cake with a design on it?

    ( _ )

    ReplyDelete